Common questions asked by BlackBerry® users.
1: How do I setup my BlackBerry® CurveTM 3G?
1. Make sure you've loaded the SIM card into the SIM card tray and the battery into your BlackBerry®.
2. The battery should be fully charged. Turn on by pressing the power on/off key (the red phone key).
3. The Setup Wizard should appear.
4. If the Setup Wizard does not start up, scroll to the Setup Wizard icon, and click the optical trackpad.
5. Follow the setup instructions on the screen.
2: How do I lock and unlock the keypad?
If you are not on a call, you can lock the keypad to avoid pressing keys accidentally and dialing out.
1. Press and hold the ‘A’ key to lock the keypad.
2. To unlock the keypad, press the ‘A’ key followed by the ‘Send’ key.
3: How do I view all applications on the home screen?
The home screen gives you shortcut access to 6 menu icons.
1. From the Home screen, click the Menu icon to view more applications.
2. To return to the Home screen, when you are not on a call, press the End key.
3. To move back a screen, press the Escape key.
4: How do I adjust the volume during a call?
1. To increase the volume, press the Volume Up key on the right side of your BlackBerry® device.
2. To decrease the volume, press the Volume Down key on the right side of your device.
3. To mute the volume, press the Play/Pause/Mute key on the top of your device. To turn off mute, press the Play/Pause/Mute key again.
5: How do I adjust the volume of my ringer?
You can increase or decrease the volume for incoming calls. The higher the volume percentage, the louder the volume.
1. From the Home screen, press the Send key.
2. Press the Menu key.
3. Click Options.
4. Click General Options.
5. Change the Default Call Volume field.
6. Press the Menu key.
7. Click Save.
6: How do I create a new contact?
1. On the Home screen, click the Contacts icon.
2. Click ‘Add Contact’.
3. Enter the contact information.
4. Press the Menu key.
5. Click Save.
7: How do I access the Internet using the Internet browser?
1. On the Home screen, click the Browser icon.
2. Perform one of the following actions:
• If a web address field appears on the screen, type a web address.
• If a web address field does not appear on the screen, press the Menu key. Click Go To. Type a web address.
3. Press the Enter key.
8: How do I turn on Wi-Fi?
If you are in a Wi-Fi coverage area you might be able to access services (for example, email service) over a Wi-Fi network.
1. On the Home screen or in the Setup folder, click Set Up Wi-Fi.
2. Perform one of the following actions:
• Click Scan for Networks. Click a network.
• Click Manually Add Network. Type the network name. Click Add.
• If you are using a network access point enabled with Wi-Fi Protected Setup™, click Push Button Setup.
3. Complete the instructions on the screen.
4. On the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, perform any of the following actions:
• To change the order of Wi-Fi profiles, click Prioritize Wi-Fi Profiles. To return to the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, press the Escape key.
• To specify registration information, click Wi-Fi Hotspot Login. To return to the Wi-Fi Setup Complete screen, press the Escape key.
5. Click Finish.
9: How do I turn off Wi-Fi?
On the Home screen, click the Options icon.
1. Click Wi-Fi Connections.
2. Highlight a Wi-Fi profile.
3. Press the Menu key.
4. Click Disable.
10: How do I set up email?
1. On the Home screen or in the Setup folder, click the Setup Wizard icon.
2. Select ‘Email setup’
3. Select ‘I want to create or add an email address’: Use this option to associate your BlackBerry® device with one or more (up to ten) existing email addresses (for example, a Google Mail™ or Windows Live™ Hotmail® email account) or to create a new BlackBerry email address for your device.
4. Click Next.
5. Complete the instructions on the screen.
Note: When your email address is set up correctly, you receive a confirmation email message.
11: How do I send a message (email, SMS, MMS or PIN) from my BlackBerry® device?
1. Click the Messages icon, then press the Menu key.
2. Click the Compose email, SMS, MMS or PIN option.
3. In the To field, perform one of the following actions:
• Type an email address.
• Type a contact name.
• Type part of a contact name then select a contact from the suggested list.
4. Type a message.
5. Click the Menu key.
6. Click Send.
12: What is a PIN?
PIN is short for Personal Identification Number. Each BlackBerry® device has a unique PIN, just like every phone line has a unique phone number. PINs are up to 8 digits long.
If you have a contact who uses a BlackBerry® device or a BlackBerry® enabled device and you know that contact's PIN, you can send them PIN messages. PIN messages are not routed through your email account. You must have a BlackBerry® data plan to use this feature.
Find your PIN by selecting one of the following two actions:
• On the Home screen or in a folder, click the Options icon. Click Status.
• In a message, type mypin followed by a space.
13: What is BlackBerry® App World?
BlackBerry® App World lets you personalize your BlackBerry® device with games, social networking apps, themes, personal productivity apps and so much more.
To begin using BlackBerry® App World
• Access the Internet browser (you must have a BlackBerry® data package)
• Enter url http://m.blackberry.com/us/en/blackberry-app-world.html
• Click “Download it today”
• Follow instructions to “Download now”
14: What is BlackBerry® Messenger (BBM) and how do I use it?
BBM is an instant messaging app just for BlackBerry® users. You can use BBM to communicate with other BlackBerry® users anywhere and anytime.
You can send messages to chat with your contacts, change your status and display picture, and organize contacts into contact categories. During a chat, you can send files such as voice notes, pictures that you take with the phone’s camera and contact attachments. You do not need to sign in to or out of BBM. As long as you are connected to a wireless network, BBM can keep you connected to your BBM contacts. You might be able to back up and restore your BBM contacts, profile, and group membership using BBM or using BlackBerry® Desktop Manager on a computer.
You must have a wireless service data plan to use BlackBerry® Messenger.
To begin using BlackBerry® Messenger:
• Access the BlackBerry® App World icon on your device
• Utilize Search or Top apps to locate the BlackBerry® Messenger app
• Follow instructions to ‘download now’
• Once downloaded, you can locate the icon in the Instant Messaging or Downloads folder
Adding a contact:
Simply scan your contact’s BBM barcode with the camera on your BlackBerry® device, or let them scan yours.
See your barcode
1. On the BBM contact list screen, press the Menu key and click My Profile.
2. Click Display My Barcode.
Scan a barcode
1. On the BBM contact list screen, press the Menu key and click Invite Contact.
2. Click Scan a person's barcode, then click Continue.
3. Hold your smartphone so that all four corners of the barcode you are scanning appear on your device screen. Continue to hold the smartphone until you hear a beep.
Use a PIN or email
Want to add a contact who isn’t with you right now? Invite them using their PIN or email address.
1. On the BBM contact list screen, press the Menu key.
2. Click Invite Contact.
3. Click Enter a person's email address, PIN, or name. Type part or all of the contact information.
4. Click the contact information.
5. If necessary, change the Send Using field and/or Category fields.
6. Click Send.
Note: The person might remain in the Pending category until they respond to your invitation.
Start a messenger chat
1. On the Home screen or in the Instant Messaging folder, click the BBM icon.
2. Click ‘Contacts’ to view your contact list.
3. Select your contact and type a message.
4. Click the Menu key and select ‘Send’.
15: How can I manage my BlackBerry® device using my desktop PC?
You will need to download and install BlackBerry® Desktop Manager. You can download the Desktop Manager here
16: How do I transfer music, photo and video files on my BlackBerry® device from my computer?
If you connect your BlackBerry® to your computer, you can transfer files between your media card and your computer using mass storage mode.
Or, you can transfer media files between your device and your computer using the BlackBerry® Media Sync tool within the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager.
17: How do I play music on my BlackBerry®?
Play audio files, such as .aac, .amr, .m4a, .midi, .mp3, or .wav files, from the BlackBerry® device memory or a media card.
1. Scroll the Trackpad to the Media icon, and click the Trackpad.
2. In the media application, click a media type.
3. Click a media folder that contains songs.
4. Perform one of the following actions:
To play one song, click the song.
To play all the songs in the media folder, press the Menu key. Click Play Folder.
To play all the songs in the media folder and any subfolders, press the Menu key. Click Play All.
18: How does the camera/video work on my BlackBerry®?
• To activate the camera, press the Right Convenience key on your BlackBerry® device.
• To zoom in and out of a subject, scroll the trackpad up or down, or press the volume keys on the right side of the BlackBerry® device. The “+” will zoom in, the “-“ will zoom out.
• To take a picture, click the Trackpad or press the Enter key on the keypad.
• To take another picture, click the camera icon.
• To delete the picture, click the trash can icon.
• To set the picture as a caller ID picture or Home screen background, click the crop icon.
• To forward the picture, click the envelope icon.
• To rename and save the picture, click the folder icon.
• To turn off the camera, click the end key.
By default, when you take a picture, the camera will save the picture to your BlackBerry® device memory.
If you require further assistance, please contact our Customer Service Department at 1-888-632-1525.
For additional information on features of your BlackBerry® CurveTM 3G, you can view the User Guide or visit the BlackBerry® website.